Sunday, January 5, 2014

How to lose fear and gather courage

Primarily, these are the things that people do on a new year's eve:

  • Go out and celebrate
  • Consume as much alcohol as they can
  • Make a new year's resolution (or a few)
Well, the first two I did do but refrained from the last one. It does not mean that there is not a single aspect  of my life that I wish to see myself improve upon. In fact, there are so many, countless. For instance, making reading a habit rather than just a method to pass time during travel. Self motivating myself to workout regularly and without gaps. Waking up a 'little' early on weekend to indulge in physical activities. Somewhere in the list would also be my not writing enough here, a space which I created to pour my heart out, to be my virtual self or in fact, to be my brain child. But, intentionally or otherwise, I have left it to rot, more like treating it as a half-blood rather than my own. These are just to name a few!

My objective in not doing so is to rid myself of failure. Now you would ask me why should I think of failure before even committing myself to something.You would also instruct me to give it a go, try my best and look if things workout. Then if they don't, you'd say you at least tried and won't repent that you didn't. This is where we have our differences. For me (and I'd assume, for you too), failure is a definitive state, it's the core, it's the center of the Earth. You either failed or did not. There's no questioning it's finality. But how you fail is a different ball game all together. I fear failure, so I avoid resolutions. What a cowardly statement, you'd think, but let me explain.

I am imperfect and fear failure. Perhaps, I'm too afraid. With this fact, I've come to terms with lately and made up my mind that henceforth, I'll seldom plan too far forward or too far fetched. This in no sense of the word imply that I will not 'Plan'. I always do. But 9 out of 10 times, they never transpire as foreseen and I end up lamenting why I wasted my time on them. So, I've decided to take things one day at a time or more so, one moment at a time. Never think or look too far forward. It'll scare your efforts off and you'll end up thinking about it rather than doing something about it, instead.

Small things make a big difference. For instance, when I'm carefree (not careless), productivity in my efforts rises many folds. When in doubt, I end up thinking and fearing about the consequences if things don't go the way they should. One has to get rid of this very fear that keeps them from breaking out. Easier said then done, eh? Well, chuck it! That's exactly what i'm talking about. Relieve yourself of this habit of questioning, leave it for the others. When they question you, sieve out the feedback and throw the rest away. Move forward since you have no choice but to keep going. The only thing that's permanent is change. You can't just stay where you are. You either go north or south, there is no middle ground!

Now, how does one gather courage to do all these positives? How does one motivate oneself? Well, the secret is no secret. Courage. You already have it. You need to start feeling it, living off it and exuding it. How? Think of where you come from, how far you've come, all the good things you've done and accomplished. When you've made people happy. Think about your qualities that people look up to.There are numerous such things. Give it a go! It's a very manual process to start off but then you start feeling it everyday. You wake up with it, go through the day with it, learn with it, teach with it, feel it while you're wrapping things up, rejoice it when you go to bed.

Live by the moment. Everything else will take care of itself.




Now, don't make it a resolution to follow what I just said throughout the year. Sums it up perfectly, doesn't it? :D

4 comments:

Azel said...

Welcome back to writing :) Here's hoping what you've written indeed becomes something you wake up with everyday :)

Prateek said...

Thanks a lot! You keep the artist inside you active too.

Arnav said...

Given that the last post was 3+ years back, I'm surprised you finally published another one. Nevertheless, god to see (even though a little late) hearty neurons back in action. Gives me assurance I'm not the only person who wants to read or workout regularly. I especially liked the part about finding 'courage' (the quality, not the cowardly dog).

PS: Did you write this on new year's eve after you had done the first two things?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the appreciation Baba. I not really fond of writing. I am a man of few word but I do get the urge to put 'em to paper/virtual space rarely. This wasn't written on the very eve but a few days after.